July 24, 2009

Fun Art Fridays: The Goon Color v2


Here's my second pass at coloring The Goon illustration I've been working on!

I've never considered myself much of a painter -- I normally leave that up to our very talented background painters -- and have always stuck to my comfort zone of cell shading in Flash, which is what I did with The Goon Color v1. However, I've decided it's time to leave old habits behind and change my attitude towards painting. So here's my first pass at trying a more painterly look in Photoshop.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out and definitely feel like I've made some progress. I changed some of the colors a bit from the original and really like the way the shading pops in this version. Especially the foreground Zombie hand! (Check out the WIP paints below to compare...)



Having said that, I'll probably do one more pass to try defining the brush strokes better and possibly lose the ink lines altogether... Mark insists they’re just getting in the way. :P

Until then... Enjoy!


Illustration © Joe Costantini
The Goon is Copyright © Eric Powell.

No comments: