July 23, 2009

Character Designs: More Kremlin Cats

As promised, here are some more sketches I drew while working on The Kremlin Cats. While these aren’t the final designs, they definitely helped me work through some possible looks for the characters. Plus, I really dig how they all turned out.

First up is my initial take on Manny and Nikki, done in more of what I would call the "2A! studio" style… cute, short, round-eyed little guys. I’m always amused at the odd times I’m inspired to draw. I can’t remember where I was, but as you can see in the upper left corner, I drew Manny with a pen on some notebook paper. I’m guessing I wasn’t in the studio. ;)



Next up is my second pass on the character designs. While everyone liked the first round, the characters came off as being too young, so I was asked to age them up some more. This time I went for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, action/adventure feel. The cats are definitely older here and ready to start some trouble.



Below is a sheet of Manny version 2, from pencil sketch to Flash color mock-up.



Again, everyone liked my second round, but thought I may have gone a little too old. So back to the drawing board I went to come up with the final designs which you can check out here.

Also, be sure to check out Sarah’s costume designs here. They're sweet!


Copyright © Two Animators! LLP


No comments: