October 08, 2009

Animation: SweetIM Moth



For the SweetIM project 2A! has been working on, I'm in charge of doing the animatics for each piece. This particular one is of a moth who is quite oblivious to her surroundings.

For those of you who don't know, an animatic is basically like a rough sketch where you lay out the timing and key poses of an animation. After the character designs are finalized, I take the description of what the character is supposed to do (a.k.a. the script) and make the animatic. Once the animatic is approved, we clean up the keys and make sure the character is consistent throughout the whole piece. The keys are then in-betweened, finalized with ink and paint, and sound effects are added. You can see the three stages of the animation process in the video above, as well as in the still image below.



I really enjoy working on these SweetIM animations because they let me stretch my hand-drawn animation skills. I try to make each one as lively as I can. This was definitely one of my favorites from the first batch we did.


Copyright © SweetIM Technologies Ltd.

No comments: